Friday, September 24, 2010

Interesting Article - Raising Boys That Read

How to Raise Boys That Read

I found this article to be very true to my thinking. I have worked hard at researching what books are truely good literature for our boys to read. Do they read "twaddle"? At times, YES, books they think would be interesting. Are these the types of books they keep going back to? NO.  I have found that assigning a wide variety of great literature for school has really helped especially Bryce at this point, to pick good books for his free reading time. In my mind, choosing to read good books is just as important as the ability to read good books.

Currently, Bryce is still loving to read all things science related and the Harry Potter series. He loves his Magic School Bus books, but he also loves to go into the non-fiction section and pick books out on different science topics. Micah is currently working  his way through the Magic Tree House series. Is this great literature maybe not, but he is reading chapter books that are at his level and learning so much history.

The boys have read many good books in the last few years. Here are some of the earlier readers they have really enjoyed. (Series) Amelia Bedilia, Nate the Great, Frog and Toad, (Individual Books) The Great Balloon Race, Buffalo Bill, Praire School, First Flight, and so many more that I can not remember them all.

Over the summer, I started to explore the world of audio books. Due to weekly appointments, we are spending more time in the car and I am just not great at doing Read Alouds during the day. We still read aloud to our boys but the discovery of audio books has been wonderful. We are currently listening to Peter Pan, I love that even Matthew will ask for the audio books. I feel better knowing that we can listen to great literature while we are in the car and it takes some of presure I have put on myself for not doing more read alouds.

My boys love books and I hope that will be a life long love for all three.

No comments:

Post a Comment